How to Establish Paternity in Texas

Fathers play an important role in the lives of children. If you are the father of a child, you deserve to have custody of or access to your child if you and the mother are unmarried, separated, or divorced. The only way you can protect these rights, however, is if you are established as the physical or legal father of the child. Unless paternity is established, you will be unable to obtain a court order for custody or visitation of your child.

Ways to Establish Paternity in Texas

Paternity can be established in a number of ways. The first is at the time of birth, where the father signs his name on the child’s birth certificate. If you are a child’s birth father but you did not sign your name on the birth certificate, you can file a notice of intent to claim paternity with the Texas Department of State Health Services so that your name is added to the registry. If your request to claim paternity is denied by the mother, you may have to go to court to prove that you are the child’s father and that the child needs you in his or her life.

The court makes decisions based on the child’s best interests, so you will need a skilled family lawyer to litigate on your behalf. You will also need a lawyer to represent you if you are not the child’s father by blood, but need to establish paternity through marriage and legal guardianship. ¬†Hire a family law attorney from our Conroe, TX firm.

Contact us as soon as possible to help you establish paternity and protect your fathers’ rights!